CBS News: ZZ Top: After 50 years they’ve still got legs (video)

If ever anyone in rock ‘n’ roll deserved to be called greybeards, it’s ZZ Top, the self-described “same three guys playing the same three chords,” who are marking 50 years together.

“I’m dumbfounded!” laughed the clean-shaven Frank Beard. “It’s longer than we’ve been married, by a long shot.”

Beard plays with two men whose beards would make Methuselah jealous: guitarist Billy Gibbons and bassist Dusty Hill. They met in the summer of 1969 when they were all 20 at a long-gone club in Houston, now an outdoor public art space.

“We started on this very ground,” said Gibbons. “It was a club called The Catacombs. It was a day that Frank Beard, the man with no beard, he and I were gathered together to audition bass players. And about that time Dusty strolled up, strapped on the guitar, and I think we wound up playing one song for about three hours straight!”

“Well, it went on and on, is where it went,” Hill said. . . . continue reading and watch video of interview here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/zz-top-goin-50-dusty-hill-frank-beard-billy-gibbons/

Share Post :

More Posts

6 Comments

• Tracey Glendinning
    July 24, 2019 at 4:37 pm  - Reply

I would so love to win the T Shirt. Love ZZ Top and were lucky to catch you guys in Mississippi June last year, we are from Belfast!
    Caught you in Dublin a few years back as well!! ❤❤❤

• Mattie Dominy
    July 24, 2019 at 6:06 pm  - Reply

I remember when you all came to the Ellis Prison Unit back in ’89 or ’90. Wasn’t able to enjoy performance because I was working in the mail room. The Lt. was John Meadors. I think he and Billy knew each other. Long time ago and glad y’all are still going strong.

• Gary White
    July 24, 2019 at 10:07 pm  - Reply

I first saw y’all Des Moines, Iowa, at the fairgrounds. The show that made up for the “rained-out riot” show. Again in the mid-90’s, Ames, Iowa–when a girl I knew that was a dancer was hired to wear balloons on a bikini for your stage manager’s birthday. I helped her with the costume and transportation and got the privilege of backstage passes for your show, and John Mayall’s opening. Third time in Arizona, at the State Fair. I hope to see you this August in Phoenix (if I can afford it, fixed income sucks)! Wishing you many more years!!

• Loree Bob
    July 27, 2019 at 10:04 am  - Reply

As always, Thank You for including Canada in your travels.
    Saw Billy the last time out in my hometown Kitchener Ontario at the Centre In The Square.
    Great acoustics.
    B.B. King also Loved the venue.
    Can’t Stop Rockin’.
    “Loree Bob “

• Loree Bob
    July 27, 2019 at 10:08 am  - Reply

As always, Thank You for including Canada
    Hey Billy. Do you remember sitting in my Sharp Dressed Van in Copps Colosseum in Hamilton after the show when Noreen was there too?
    Thanks again.
    Can’t Stop Rockin’.
    “Loree Bob “

• Dean Iversen Green
    September 5, 2019 at 11:31 pm  - Reply

Dusty a Top 5 bass player EVER in the world in my book.. a REAL bass player..
    and he sings too?
    that’s where “Tops” came from kiddies… 🙂

saw the Top twice in Seattle, so close I could tell their eye colors, both shows were outF’nstanding, I remember every time they would shake their heads I would get a shower of sweat, yup, screaming my balls off drank some!!!

man the good ol’ days